deck

deck

Wednesday, September 25, 2019

This guy

Yeah, what about this guy?  My husband Lars.

Well, he is taking this in stride along with everything else in our lives.  This guy moved with me to the smallest town ever in rural Washington state and that wasn't easy.  And then he moved with me to Missouri and we had never even visited this state before.  He is used to going on adventures with me.

This guy keeps my spirits up like no other.  Always gets my jokes, always good for a laugh.  Two winters ago I coughed and coughed and coughed.  I had pleurisy and then pneumonia and then kept on coughing because I had undiagnosed asthma and my lungs were full of crud.  I coughed so hard that one morning before the kids left for school I broke one of my ribs.  Ouch!  I could hardly move.  This guy stayed home and helped me medicate up and lay down.  And then, of course, I had to go to the bathroom and this guy helped me get there.  And then . . . terror of terrors . . . I couldn't get off the toilet.  I'm serious, I was totally stuck.  He couldn't pull me and I couldn't stand because I was in such tremendous pain.  We laughed and laughed.  And then, to make matters worse, I told him to text my mom (best friend) that I was stuck on the toilet and he accidently texted one of my parishioners, "Heather is stuck on the toilet".  Pastor friends imagine that.  Oh my gosh we laughed so hard.

And last winter when I had my first ankle surgery and was laid up for weeks I totally lost my mind.  One night I just decided I was running away.  Running away is impossible when your foot doesn't work.  I made a scene and hobbled down the stairs and made for my car and fell in the garage.  And this guy just let me have my fit.  He was there to help if I needed it but he didn't coddle or correct me.  He tried to stop my fall and then just let me cry it out.  He watched me crawl back inside and to the couch and just let me have my fit.  No judgement from this guy.  Just the space I needed and help when I wanted.

So this guy, I think he is OK.  I think we have been through a lot of strange and hard things and this will be just one more chapter.  This guy is pretty used to the strangeness that is me, and even though we don't always make it work most of the time we can.

This guy.  He has my back.  (and my heart)

These are ER selfies while waiting for him to get stiches in a cut finger


   

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like he knows you well. Laughter is such an important part of a marriage. I love this post!

    ReplyDelete