deck

deck

Wednesday, September 4, 2019

The myth of the second opinion

It's hard to balance the weight of everyone's hope and advice.  One thing I hear more than anything else is that I need to get a second opinion.  This is a hard one, as there really is no second opinion for me.  I know I have TGCT-TS and I know there is no cure.  So what is the second opinion?  There is no doctor out there that has a magical answer.  There is no path I can go down where I don't have this disease.

In case you are wondering, let's review facts.

1. My diagnosis is sure.  Remember, I was diagnosed September of 2018 with TGCT-TS in my left ankle.  The surgeon removed the tumor to the best of his ability.  The tumor was tested in the operating room to confirm the diagnosis, and then later the entire tumor was tested in the pathology lab.  All results show this is a Giant Cell Tumor.  I think the primary purpose of a second opinion is to seek an alternative diagnosis.  At this point, I would not trust anyone who claims I don't have TGCT-TS.  Especially since the tumor has quickly grown back, as it would if it was TGCT-TS.

2. Treatment options.  I have already seen two doctors.  My surgeon and my oncologist.  The oncologist made all the options very clear to me, and they are as follows.
a. do nothing
b. try Gleevec (a chemo) to shrink the tumor.  This chemo was designed for leukemia patients but there has been some success treating giant cell tumors.  (This is what I am on)
c. try Turalio  a new chemo that was just approved last month.  This chemo was designed specifically for giant cell tumors but is very hard on the liver.  Some patients in the clinical trials needed liver transplants and some even died from liver failure.  I need my liver (hello wine) so this is a firm no for me.
d. get in an immunotherapy clinical trial.  There are clinical trials looking for giant cell tumor patients to try immunotherapy right now.  Immunotherapy works by stimulating the patient's own immune system and often results in immune diseases as a side effect.  Not a risk I am willing to take when there is no known results.
e. amputation

These are the only, I repeat ONLY options.  I have joined online groups and read the stories of other people suffering from this disease and no one is anywhere where doctors are doing anything different or where they have a cure.  There is no cure for this condition.

The only option not listed is to try another surgeon.  Maybe they could successfully remove the full tumor.  You need to get EVERY little cell or my tumor will rapidly grow back.  I will be asking the oncologist about this when I see him in a few weeks.

But you see, this idea that there is another answer out there, that there is another opinion, is just not real.  There is nothing else out there for me or for anyone else with this disease.  And when people keep asking me why I haven't done more its painful.  Like somehow I haven't done enough or thought this through or searched hard enough.  Like somehow because all the futures are negative that this is my own fault.  Like I have given up on myself by accepting this reality.  If only I could find that mythical second opinion.  I wish it was out there.  But I am convinced its not.

In other news . . . today is a hard day.  I woke up feeling so sick.  And its hard to get up and get kids fed and off to school.  To trudge into the office and try to conjure a sermon from my foggy brain.  I took a morning Zofran (a first) to help my tummy but it makes me tired.  And chemo makes me tired.  And I'm sad.  Sad and tired.

Oh well.  I just have to keep going.  

9 comments:

  1. I'm sorry you are feeling pressured by others to justify your situation and your choices. Bodily autonomy is a wonderful thing and more people should get on board! Keep nursing the zofran and occasional glass of wine and know that you are loved <3
    -Jana

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sending you a big hug right now. I wish I could help... I wish I had more to offer. 😢😢

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, you do, and know that you do it with prayers for your medical team and researchers in that particular area, and for your ability to fall into God's Shalom, and God will know when you need it most. Bill Bess

    ReplyDelete
  4. So, a few years ago I gave an interview to the newspaper about invisible disabilities. I said "nobody talks about the oddballs," and that ended up the front page headline, right over my photo. Lovely. Next thing I know I am getting daily calls, emails, letters from people telling me what I need to do. I need to eat this or not eat that, I need to see this doctor or that doctor, I need to stop all my meds and take herbs, I need to stop all herbs and have a liquid diet, I need to see this doctor they know in Michigan, the diagnosis must be wrong because conditions like mine are actually something else. It is exhausting the opinions, the unsolicited advice, the assumption- however innocent- that you know more about your own body than they do. Even when you know it comes from a place of kindness and earnestness, it still frustrates, hard to find any grace in those moments. I try to remember that it is not my job to educate or defend myself about my illness, but at that moment my job is self-protection. I smile, I nod, I hum the theme song from the Smurfs in my head until this kind person walks away. I hope the effects begin to settle into a pattern you can manage.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's hard to see someone you love suffer. We all want an easy answer for them and ourselves. Sometimes there are not easy answers, no magic pills, no treatment but we are unable to accept this. In your case you have accepted it, but those around you are still looking for the silver bullet. We want a silver bullet for you. In time we will too accept your diagnosis. Hopefully until then we can keep our thoughts and questions to ourselves and not burden you with our well-meaning "advice".

    You show strength and maturity in dealing with your diagnosis. You are roll model to many. But, we still want that magic pill because we care about you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so sorry you are getting any negative feedback, no matter how well intentioned. I am certain you have researched your condition and treatment options and are making wise decisions for YOU! We all wish there was a magical answer out there, of course. I’m sending you virtual (((Hugs))) and 🍷! Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish I could preach for you -- I hope you are able to get coverage when you need it --and I hope your congregation is generous in knowing that you need the break, even those times that you want to power through. You need kindness, and I'm glad you know how to ask for it -- as in pushing back against thoughtless unkindness in people's comments.

    ReplyDelete