deck

deck

Monday, October 7, 2019

A Temporary Reprieve

Today was my pre-op meeting with my surgeon.  This is the same DR I have been seeing since the beginning of the Giant Cell Tumor saga.  Everyone came today to talk amputation.  We were there, the nurse was ready for amputation prep, and the prosthetist had driven from across town to meet with us.

Imagine our surprise when the surgeon walks in and says "No".  He's not going to amputate.  He's not ready.

"But I'm ready" I said.  "I've talked about it and planned for it.  I'm ready."  "I see you are ready," he said "but I'm not."

He doesn't want to amputate unless there is a 0% chance of saving my foot.  And we're not there yet.

He wants to try again to cut out my tumor.  Same scheduled time 8 am next Tuesday Oct 15th and same place, the main Univ. of Kansas hospital.  But this surgery will be a full 2 hours instead of the hour and a half for amputation.  And I should be able to go home that day.

This will be bigger and badder then what we did last October.  He will cut further down my foot, higher up my leg, and deeper inside my tendons.  He will do his best to cut the whole damn thing out.

The chances of it growing back are higher than last time (and of course it grew back last time) but if there is just the slightest chance, the narrowest chance that he can cut it all out he wants to try again.

"I can amputate your foot," he said, "I just don't want to."

So, we are not out of the woods.  We still are fighting Giant Cell Tumor.  This will be one nasty surgery.  And there is a good chance there will be another one next year.  In fact, the highest likelihood is that we do this a few more Octobers and then finally we do cut off my foot.

But not right now, not this time, not next week.

I'll be in pain, and I will suffer and limp but I will have a foot.

I think he realized I am not messing around.  I am not fooling with some iffy meds.  I am not afraid of pain and suffering.  I am game for anything so if he thinks I can take what he's dishing out then he wants to try again.

I'm in for a world of hurt - but I'll have a foot in that world.

All my praying types - keep up the good work.  I think you just bought me a year of mobility!!

Whatever he does will be bigger than last time . . . here's my scar for reference.  This is a current picture and you can see my tumor at the back of the ankle.  Here's hoping to better luck next time.




No comments:

Post a Comment