deck

deck

Thursday, December 5, 2019

Yo Gabba Gabba!

Hey friends!  Things are progressing and I am doing well.  Monday I saw my doctor and got permission to remove my boot cast.  I also got a prescription for Gabapentin.  This is a drug commonly given for nerve pain.  Boy is it helping!  Praise Jesus I can sleep at night.  After a month of not sleeping I was becoming a real monster.

The bummer with Gabapentin is the side effects: drowsiness, dizziness, blurred vision, etc.  Basically it feels like a great big glass of wine.  This is awesome if you are staying home all day to chill.  This is less awesome if you have to go to work, write sermons, drive your car, make dinner, etc.  I have been trying to find a balance.  Yesterday I didn't take it so I could drive the kids to the Orthodontist an hour away.  The problem was, my foot was killing me with nerve pain.  By the time I did take it, it didn't really help.  So . . . that plan didn't work.

Today I am trying to stay on it so it can help the foot.  I don't feel as drunk as I did the first day I took it.  (There was an $80 unintended Walgreens shopping spree that day)  I think overtime I will adjust to it.  I am so eager to be without the nerve pain that I am willing to be drowsy.  And hey, what's wrong with being chill all day?  Hopefully things will balance out in a few weeks.

In other news, my foot is dumb.  I don't mean that as an insult I mean it as literally dumb.  Defined by Merriam Webster as silent or lacking some usual attribute.  Half of my left foot is not feeling.  Draw a line from the tip of the toes down to the heal, length wise, and the inside half of my foot feels and the outside half doesn't.  Its like walking on a foot that's asleep without the tingling.  It's not a pleasant sensation.  And it may or may not resolve over time.  I told the DR and he said, "yup".  That's what happens when you keep cutting in the same spot.

So my dumb foot and me just keep going.  We walk the dog in the morning with our stupid looking limp but both her and I are so happy to be outside we don't care.  Next week I will try playing the harp with this dumb thing.  The pedals won't feel right but we'll figure it out.

I also talked to the DR about the next MRI.  It will be late summer before we find out if this surgery worked or if my evil tumor is still in my ankle growing away.  Until then, its me and my dumb foot making our way in the world.  With the help of a Gabapentin high.  Good times.  

No comments:

Post a Comment